What Is The New NOCSAE Chest Protector Standard?
- A National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment test on baseball chest protectors determined that to reduce the risk of commotio cordis (cardiac arrest due to a blow to the area over the heart), new heart guard hardware must be included in all baseball chest protectors. Click here to view the standard on the NOCSAE website.
What Baseball Leagues Have Adopted The Chest Protector Rule?
- NFHS (National Federation of High Schools). Starting January 1, 2020, all baseball chest protectors must be NOCSAE commotio cordis certified for NFHS play.
- NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). For the 2019-20 academic year, all chest protectors used in NCAA competition must meet the NOCSAE commotio cordis standard.
- Little League Baseball®, Babe Ruth Baseball/Cal Ripken Baseball, and other youth organizations have yet to adopt the commotio cordis chest protector standard.
How Can I Tell If A Chest Protector Meets The New NOCSAE Standard?
- All certified chest protectors must include the NOCSAE Baseball Standard label below.